No MSG here, just spices and salt. The mace and celery seed tie this squarely to 19th-century England and Anglo-America, which is where blends like this originated. Commercial blends and chemical additives have given seasoned salt a bad name, but it’s every bit as good a multi-purpose mixed seasoning as chili powder or “Cajun seasoning” or garam masala.
- ¼ cup salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon mace
- ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon finely ground celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, pounded and sifted
- dash cayenne
Combine all. Store up to 6 months in an air-tight container.